Posted by Greenpark on September 27 / 2019
Nothing says that fall is fast approaching like making a trip to your local apple orchard or farm to pick one of the season’s best fruit. Whether you love a crispy McIntosh or spartan apple, most farms offer a variety of these delicious fruits and if you love to bake your own pie, spy apples may be the one. Many “pick-your-own” farms and orchards include wagon rides and play areas for children. Let your inner child revel in this fall fun activities and bring home some fresh goodness for the whole family. Here is a list of where to go closest to the community you live in.
1. Chudleigh’s Apple Farm in Milton is within 30 minutes of Oakville. It definitely is worth the drive! Since 1967, apples have been the reason for this farm. One of the best apple pies can be found here along with many activities for the whole family. Enjoy a blissful day in the fresh air where fun seems to grow on trees. Located at 9528 Regional Road 25, Halton Hills, Ontario. Worth going to no matter where you live! Kids will enjoy everything from foot slides, a sandbox, a variety of friendly farm animals, tractor wagon rides, a nature trail, a haybale jump and pony rides. Have your camera ready!
1. Downey’s Farm in Caledon just north of Brampton, Ontario. Family owned and operated by the Downey family since 1920, this farm is not far from anyone living in Mayfield Village. You and your family can enjoy some of these activities and more while visiting the farm: wagon rides, jumping pillows, mini putt, milking station, a giant sand box and a kid’s play centre, a hamster wheel and corn maze and more. It is at located at 13682 Heart Lake Road. For additional information, please visit their website.
1. The Apple Orchard is located at 1668 ON-6, Hamilton. Just 5 minutes from Waterdown, you can pick your own apples and enjoy wagon rides, animals, a corn maze, candy apples sweet cider and a corn pit play area. For additional information please visit.
2. Myers Apple Farm - You can enjoy apple picking at Myers Apple Farm until the end of September. Myers Family Orchard is located far away from the hustle and bustle of traffic and noise in the country setting of Copetown, ON. Nestled in the picturesque hamlet, not only to enjoy the fresh air and exercise but to enjoy the scenic fall colors and pick apples of course! It’s located only 20 minutes west of Hamilton just minutes north of Hwy 403 at 37 Hwy 52, Hamilton (17 minutes from Waterdown).
1. Pine Farms Orchard is located at 2700 16th Side Road (16 minutes from Vaughan) Not only can you experience apple picking here, but you can sit and enjoy their great bakeshop and café. They offer sandwiches, soups, and salads and tasty fresh-baked treats! $5.00 per person, Children 2 and under free. Admission is charged on weekends including Labour Day Monday, PA Day Monday and Thanksgiving Monday during harvest. (Cash only for admission. Visa and debit accepted for all other items.) All other times, admission is free! They supply bags, but encourage you to bring your own. Note that they do not allow outside food on premises.
2. JC Agri Orchards is located in the Greenbelt, and are a family run orchard with three generations running the farm. They offer a beautiful selection of apples available as Pick Your Own and Ready Picked. You can enjoy a day on the farm with the whole family. You can find them at 3105 16th Sideroad (16 minutes from Vaughan) on the south side of 16th Sideroad.
1. Brooks Farm offers apple picking, squash and pumpkin picking as well. Looking for 10 acres of outdoor farm fun? Their Barnyard Playland is just that! With so much to do, kids of all ages are guaranteed to have a blast. Come for a few hours or spend the whole day. Their Barnyard Playland is an imaginative playland where kids can run, enjoy the fresh air and burn tons of energy. There are too many activities to mention here but their website has a full list. It is located at 122 Ashworth Rd, Mount Albert (13 minutes from East Gwillimbury). Note that they also have a Fall Fun Festival happening every weekend until October 27.
2. Nature’s Gift - Located just 30 minutes from East Gwillimbury, you can experience apple picking, taste freshly squeezed apple juice and roam around the orchard. This orchard offers natural pesticide free apples. They are open daily during the apple picking season. They also offer the following products: honey, cold pressed apple cider, sweet corn and red onions. You can find them at 14847 Warden Avenue in Stouffville, Ontario.
Feel free to venture out to other orchards and farms outside you community and visit many of the others in the GTA. Don’t miss out on this favourite fall pastime that’s perfect for a day out for the whole family.
To learn more about Greenpark communities that are open and coming soon, please click here.